With a birthday so close to Christmas, we tend to keep things a little low-key for Ammon. And I think it's just fine...considering that's sort of how he is. As long as his favorite foods and presents are involved, he's good to go. I feel a little bad sometimes, but I know we can get away with no hurt feelings for now. The joy of an oblivious childhood.
We spent the morning sending Lydia off to school, making his cake, and then outside. It was beautiful weather for once so we enjoyed the sunshine with Ammon getting some use out of his bike he got for Christmas.
We tried taking some birthday pictures and I relish the personality that shines through in each shot.
After nap time we had family come over for Ammon's birthday dinner. This dinner he talked about for weeks. When you're driven by food, I guess it stays on the mind. The very first thing Ammon requested when I asked him what he wanted for his birthday dinner, was blue jello. It was only after further inquiry that he chose chicken patty sandwiches, cold carrots and celery (basically a veggie tray), and tater-tots/french fries. I didn't get a picture of him at dinner, but he enjoyed it.
Next came presents with lots of Legos (one of the only toys that actually entertains him), a Pumba Pig, a fire truck (which actually keeps him busy as well), and more. His favorite present ended up being the packaging bubbles that came with one of his gifts. He squealed like a girl and proceeded to jump on and pop every single one.
Ammon chose strawberry cake with blue frosting. He was excited about having both pink AND blue. He also choose his favorite ice cream -mint chocolate chip- to serve on the side.
It took him a few tries to blow out his candles, but he got it eventually. And then it was time to feast!
I think the blue frosting mustache and silly cheese-face are proof that he had a pretty fantastic birthday.
This little boy, who is such a big boy now, has a huge heart that brightens everyone's day. He makes everyone laugh and keeps me on my toes. He's smart, shy, silly, and full of life. Food and candy are on his mind 24/7 and he's already a pro at negotiation, thanks to his uncles:
Ammon: Can I pick a couple candies?
Me: You can pick one.
Ammon: *Holding up his fingers* Or three or four?
Me: *unable to hold a laugh back* I said one!
Ammon: Or two?
Me: Just one!!
Ammon: Can I pick a candy and a piece of gum?
And he runs off skipping, as happy as can be.
It's probably because he's growing so much. Growing 2 3/4 inches in six months takes some energy and therefore he needs his fuel! And sleep! His two hour nap in the afternoons is still a must; he can't make it through the day without one. When we try he's always asleep by dinner, no matter where he's at.
I could go on for forever, but I'll just say I love this boy that's getting so big. I could feel my heart break waking up on January 12th, knowing that he's so big and that the time has gone by so fast! He's growing up too much and I just watch with joy, fear, and awe.
I love you Ammon, and I hope you had the best day.
Here's what Ammon had to say about himself on his birthday:
Ammon's 4 Year Old Birthday Interview
1. What's your favorite song? Book of Mormon Stories and Follow the Prophet
2. What's your favorite thing to do with Mom? Jump on the tramp
3. What's your favorite thing to do with Dad? Play with him
4. What's your favorite day of the week? Saturday
5. How old are you? Four
6. Who is your best friend? Colin
7. What's your favorite thing to do? Play with Natalie (a girl I watch in the mornings)
8. What's your favorite color? Blue
9. What's your favorite food? Oranges
10. What do you like to do with your family? Go for a walk
11. What's your favorite toy? My sword
12. What do you want to be when you grow up? A music player
13. What makes you happy? A smile
14. What makes you sad? Lydia hitting me
15. What's your favorite show to watch? Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Paw Patrol
16. What's your favorite book? Mickey Mouse
17. What do you like to learn about? About my birthday
18. Where do you like to go? Fred Meyer
19. What's the best part of your birthday? Getting ice cream
20. What's your favorite treat? M&M's
21. If you could meet someone famous who would it be? Dallin Zappe (haha, that's his friend)
22. What's your favorite movie? Kung Fu Panda
23. What's your favorite game to play? Hungry Hungry Hippos
24. What sports do you like? Running, Soccer, Baseball, and Football
25. What do you like to wear? My Olaf shirt
26. Who's your favorite Superhero? Batman