Kayleen's hair stuff was all over the place and my mom kept talking about needing to figure out a better way to store all her headbands and bows. Having seen many, many, many pinterest ideas on just the subject, I decided to undertake that task as my gift.
I searched and pinned multiple ways to create a hairbow board and headband container and then kind of winged it on my own, combining different processes. Then I went to Goodwill for a cheap frame, and then to the dollar store and Walmart for the rest of my crafting supplies. I did spend a little more than I wanted, but that's because I had to buy all new supplies instead of just using what I already have in storage - like modpodge, paint, brushes, and such.
I took the frame from Goodwill and painted it a dark gray/blackish color.
I also took a candle stick holder from the dollar store and painted it the same color as well.
It took several coats and days for the glass to look half decent. It still wasn't high quality, but it looked just fine for the purpose of just sitting on a shelf.
Unfortunately, after this point I forgot to keep taking pictures. I was actually rushing to get the project done since I had to do it when Kayleen was at school and I was constantly running out of time. So, I don't have pictures of washing out an oatmeal container and modepodging scrapbook paper around it, or gluing the container to the candlestick holder, but you'll see the end result.
I also modgepodged scrapbook paper to a piece of cardboard that came with the frame.
Once it was dry, I was reading to add the ribbon. At first I tried to use a staple gun to attach the ribbon to the frame, but it was too strong and the frame started cracking. My brother smartly suggested I use a regular stapler instead, and despite my protests that it wouldn't be able to go into the wood, it worked perfectly.
After the ribbon was stapled on, I put the back on and it was ready for bows!
I also took two smaller frames from the dollar store, hot glued ribbon and used some coordinating paper as the background to go with the big one. I used Kayleen's favorite color of turquoise, and my favorites of green and pink, for the project, and I found a cute little container that matched to work for small clips and bobby pins.
With a couple new bows, I boxed it all up and Kayleen was able to open it on Christmas. I should have taken a picture of the before, but I was forgetful. I also should have taken a picture of what everything looked like before we added all of Kayleen's hairstuff, but you just get it after it's all set up.
Though you'll have to take my word for it, it all looks WAY better than before. And her hair stuff actually fit on the shelf. Before it was falling all over the place. I loved how it turned out.
Someday I'll have to do it for all of Lydia's stuff as well. I sure loved working with the fun colors and I always feel so accomplished when I make something nice for others, even if the quality is amateur at best.