Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lydia's Fifth Birthday

So something happened that was kind of a big deal. My baby. My baby girl. She turned five. FIVE. Like kindergarten age.


Isn't Lydia's baby shocked face adorable?

:( :( :( That's right, that's a triple frowny face. How did this ever, ever happen? Now that cute baby looks like this:



This girl amazes me everyday. She picks up on so much that just blows my mind. She can read and add. She uses words like "literally" "eventually" and "actually" in context. And she thinks so theoretically about some serious stuff. Here are some the questions I've had to attempt to answer lately.

Why do some people not dress modestly?
Why did Heavenly Father create the earth for us?
Why did Heavenly Father have to give us a body?
How does God hear our prayers?
Why does he want us to pray?
I don't know that Heavenly Father is really listening. Then how does he help us?
Why do we have to fast?
How did Jesus come back to life when he was resurrected?
Why don't girls pass the sacrament? Why do boys do it?

What five year old thinks of these things? And these are just in the last few weeks, unprovoked. We will be eating lunch or getting in our pajamas, and she'll ask these serious questions when we haven't been talking about anything having to do with the subject at all. It shows that she's got some pretty interesting thoughts going through that little mind of hers. My little philosopher.

Today she asked her Uncle Ryan: "What's your favorite color?"
Ryan: Blue
Lydia: That's it?!
Ryan: Yep
Lydia: Well my favorite colors are all the shades of pink, dark blue, gold, silver, and light purple.

And that's just her. She loves hugs and kisses, and belting out tunes in the car. Here is her spotlight from primary:

And she LOVES birthdays. She was pretty excited that hers rolled around...despite Ammon trying to usurp her day. The first thing Ammon said when he woke up on Lydia's birthday was, " I want to open Lydia's presents now." I laughed and explained that it's LYDIA'S birthday, so LYDIA gets to open the presents. To which he replied disappointingly, "Aaawww."

Then after breakfast Ammon said, "I want to make my cookie cake now."  I had to explain once again...it's LYDIA'S birthday. I think Lydia finally got to him and claimed her day, because later he came to me out of the blue and said, "Today is not my birthday because my birthday is January." I laughed and said, "Yes, yes it is."

Even though it was a big birthday, I felt bad because we kept it really low-key. Lydia got to play with her friends at exercise class then we came home and made her cake. She took a nap, played, and had her especially requested dinner of chef salad, chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, and muffins. It was actually delicious.

After dinner was presents. She scored.



It was so fun to watch her excitement opening gifts. It makes me so happy as her mom that she's so happy.



After presents we had her "cake" which actually was two giant cookies on top of each other since she really doesn't like cake and requested chocolate chip cookies for her dessert instead.



It was a success. She loved her cookie. And although she doesn't like ice cream, she picked out a flavor for the rest of us to enjoy (cookie dough, of course).



And now this week I have to register her for Kindergarten for the fall. I never, ever thought this day would come. All I can think about was when she was my little, little girl. 



Now she's my big, smart, beautiful girl and will only keep heading that direction. How do I get the time back?? How do I keep her here with me forever?



Happy Birthday Baby. I love you forever! Thanks for being my sweetheart!


Lydia's Five Year Birthday Interview

1. What's your favorite song? I love to see the temple
2. What's your favorite thing to do with Mom? Play games with her
3. What's your favorite thing to do with Dad? Tea party
4. What's your favorite day of the week? Saturday because I get to play after chores and Sunday because I get to go to Primary at church.
5. How old are you? Five
6. Who is your best friend? Kayleen
7. What's your favorite thing to do?  Play games with my family
8. What's your favorite color? All the pinks, light purple, gold, and silver
9. What's your favorite food? macaroni and cheese, bread, strawberries
10. What do you like to do with your family? Play games
11. What's your favorite toy? My princess computer
12. What do you want to be when you grow up? A teacher
13. What makes you happy? When my brother plays with me
14. What makes you sad? When Ammon bites me.
15. What's your favorite show to watch? Daniel Tiger
16. What's your favorite book? My Princess Book
17. What do you like to learn about? What it will be like when I grow up
18. Where do you like to go? To the park
19. What's the best part of your birthday? Opening my presents and blowing out candles
20. What's your favorite treat? Reeses
21. If you could meet someone famous who would it be? My mom
22. What's your favorite movie? Cinderella one and two
23. What's your favorite game to play? Tag
24. What sports do you like? Soccer and Baseball
25. What do you like to wear? Dresses and Tutus and skirts
26. Who's your favorite princess? Cinderella 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday sweet little Lydia. I can't believe how smart she is! And she is getting more and more beautiful each day. Kindergarten all ready. Wow!! Can't wait to see you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i keep meaning to tell you i love this interview thing and i am totally xeroxing it for my boys. such a cute idea! lydia sure is a doll- so beautiful and so smart!! happy bday!

    ReplyDelete