Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Tappana Times: August and September

Brigham recently had a work picnic at the local derby, Emerald Downs. Being that horses are my favorite animal, and that I have never been to a horse race before, I was interested in checking it out.

It was a hot, sunny day - a rarity in the Northwest - and I was grateful they had sunscreen laid out on tables, since I hadn't remembered to cover my fair-skinned children in what I normally don't have to worry about. We ate some delicious food and hopped from activity to activity for the kids. Lydia and Ammon were in heaven with cotton candy, pony rides, bounce houses, face painting, and more. I enjoyed watching the horses race in between. I was slightly disappointed because the races were spaced every twenty-five minutes, and were short-lived with only one run around the track each race. I was used to the romanticized Hollywood depictions. 


Despite the small let-down, I still loved it. Watching those beautiful creatures run at full speed, and holding your breath as the contestant in last place begins passing everyone else up was thrilling. If I hadn't had my kids, I would have loved to pick a comfy seat in the shade, watch the horses take their walks as people examine them and pick their favorites to bet on, and scrutinize each race with anticipation. I could totally get into it. Sadly, kids have different time requirements and I just daydreamed of my would-be life as a horse-trainer, owner, or even a derby regular and enthusiast.

All of Brigham's coworkers were placing bets and I was a little jealous when they would win occasionally, so Brigham let me place one bet. With my lucky horse-intuition I watched the large animals make their rounds around the stalls. One of them caught my eye, and though he was the smallest of the bunch, something called to me and I knew that I wanted to place my bet on him. Others were incredulous at my choice, but I was determined. And guess what? We won! Since no one expected the little horse I picked to win, we were against the odds and won a large million dollar jackpot! It was a crazy day! I could see the heart in that little horse's eyes and knew he had the spirit to win...even if no one else did. 

(I told you...I had fun daydreaming.)

Needless to say Derby Day was a success. By time we left we were all hot, exhausted, and ready for the BYU football game to start. (Go Cougars!)

Ammon made it through a few days in a row without a nap because of our day at the derby and church...


But he didn't quite make it the next couple and pulled his usual sleep-where-you-are-anytime stunt. This boy still needs his naps!

When it's not nap-time, you can find Ammon tailing his sister and Aunt Kayleen. Before Lydia started school I spotted these two playing together on Lydia's bed and was trying to covertly watch from the doorway.


When Lydia spotted me and realized I was watching she said, "I like playing domino's with Ammon."

I replied "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, because he's a GREEAAAT brother."

Ammon apparently liked what Lydia was saying because he added a hearty "Yeah!" of his own.

Fulfilling mommy moment right there. So I took a picture as my heart swelled, and some day when they are screaming at each other as teenagers, I'll whip this out and lecture them about how much they used to love playing together as kids.


To escape those two love muffins, Brigham and I went out for our own love time (otherwise known as a date night) and had some good times together as well.



First we stopped off at the local produce stand and browsed the fruit and bought some to bring home. Then we went to Goodwill to look for Halloween costume ideas.









We did find Lydia a Halloween costume, but we also found an absolutely delightful, GIANT, framed picture of Taylor Lautner. It knocked our socks off. But apparently it also impressed the Goodwill staff, as it was marked at too high of a price (twenty bucks) for us to bring it home.


So we did the next best thing and took a picture of it instead.  Though our picture isn't as fantastic because you lose the life-size aspect that was so impressive.




We didn't walk away empty handing, however, as we found some sweet name-brand church shoes just in Brigham's size! I was ecstatic, seeing as he needed new church shoes, it's almost impossible to find shoes in his size, and the price was right at twelve dollars. So although we had to pass up Taylor, we soothed our hearts with shoes.










Doesn't he look handsome? Well he's my date ladies....and he even took me home to spend the night. Scandalous! :)

The other handsome man in my life just celebrated learning all of his capital letters. It's something we've been working on for quite some time, but a few of the letters just really stumped him. Especially the letter 'S'. I tried everything to get him to remember, but I ended up just confusing him more. Even his Uncle Kenny set out to make Ammon remember that blasted letter, but Kenny's determination wasn't enough either. Finally I broke down and told Ammon that if he remembered 'S' he would get his own package of Skittles from the store, since Skittles start with 'S'. It took one day after that.



This boy will do anything for food. And fast too, apparently. I try not to reward with food too much, but he earned his Skittles and I'm proud of him learning all his capital letters at age three. Now it's onto the lower case. Be excited for us with all those confusing b's and d's and p's and q's. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful few months. I do wish you would blog more however. Its just not enough. And yay for Ammon learning all his numbers. Such a smart little boy! Miss you guys! Update more things on here and instagram too please!!

    ReplyDelete