Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tappana Times: Summer Activities

I thought that since we didn't have any big trips planned this summer, I was in for a boring summer. Boy was I wrong. We've had so many different visitors and activities that I've been busier than ever! Here are some of the things that we've done in July.

We spent the day at a church campground near the Nisqually River. We were able to canoe in the creek.

Swimming was also an option, but honestly the creek was hardly moving and it looked pretty gross. It wasn't enough to persuade me to get in.

Brigham did decided to enjoy the rope swing...after he was dared, that is.

We took a short hike over to the actual river and decided to take the plunge there. It was cold, but enjoyable.

The campground was great with archery, a slip 'n slide, playground, volleyball net, and much more so that I didn't get too many more pictures because I was busy having fun. We filled our day with activities, a dutch oven dinner, and more. In fact we did so much, my poor little guy made himself comfy in a camp chair, and slept through dinner.

He was disappointed that we didn't stay over night, but this tired/sick preggo woman was glad of it. We'll have to go back and truly enjoy camping. It was an excellent site, and not too far away from home.

Awhile back, Brigham won concert tickets off the radio to a One Direction concert for me. He had no desire to go, and my sister, who is a big fan, flew up to Washington to go with me.

We started with dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory downtown and then headed to the concert.

We were only four rows from the very top, and the people on stage were like tiny, little ants. But that didn't stop us from having a good time. IconaPop was the opening band. I enjoyed their new music, but then we had to wait an hour and half before 1D came out. Ugh, it was long. They needed more openers or something.

Those boys do have talent, and they did great. Sadie and I did agree that they could have had a little more wow during their concert, especially after waiting for so long. Some more pizazz. If you can fill an arena like they can, you think they'd really put on a show. But it was still good, and it was fun to spend a night with my sister.

While Sadie was in town we also spent the day at the zoo and took the customary picture with the monkey statues.

And went to the kid festival at Lake Wilderness Park.

It was SUPER hot at the kid's festival, so we didn't stay long. But we did stay long enough for the kids to win prizes (Ammon won the jackpot with his hat, which he is adorable in), throw balls at the dunk tank, make a craft, visit the booths, and slide down the water slides.

We also attended my cousin Dana's wedding last month.

It was beautiful and the night was perfect with family from out of town, good food, and fun.

Although it rained, us Washingtonians know how to keep the party going. Ammon was obsessed with the umbrellas. I do say, he did look adorable.

We also had the cutest little framed place settings that we got to take home with us.

At the wedding, my cousin had a photo booth that she rented. We sure made good use of it. Prepare yourself for picture overload.

My favorites were the ones where we squished all of my siblings that were able to attend in with my family.

I just really love these people. And these pictures. You can tell we had fun.

Of course, in July we found out the sex of our baby boy, and announced that we were expecting to the world Facebook.

The same day of our ultrasound, after visiting Brigham's work, I ate lunch with the kids at a nearby park with a river right next to it. The river was so shallow that I decided to take the kids on an "adventure" and walk the whole way across and back.

Although it was shallow, the current was still pretty fast, and as it pulled on our calves Ammon declared, "I don't think this is a good idea." I reassured him we'd be fine.

When we arrived at the opposite bank of the river, where the water was deeper than I thought, we began to turn around, and the next thing I know my daughter is screaming bloody murder.

Trying to figure out what's going on, I see her flip flop merrily floating away. The way she was screaming and riling her brother up to scream with her, you'd think her foot was floating away with it.

Calming them down to just crying, and with everyone staring at us, I climbed out of the river, ran down the side, climbed back in to retrieve the flip flop, and went back to my kids who were still hysterical over a dumb $1 shoe.

Lydia sobered up and exclaimed, "Thanks Mom, you're the best mom ever!" and as we proceeded to walk back, Ammon stated, "I knew this was a bad idea." I laughed my head off, and smiled at the adventure I hadn't bargained for.

In between all that excitement, we've just been doing normal summer stuff.

I felt proud of myself for finally feeling decent enough to make a real dinner of homemade pizza.

We had a fun family night eating dinner in the living room and watching a movie together.

The kids think I'm just the greatest when we do this.

We take quick trips to the lake to escape the heat.

And the kids enjoy running around and chatting on our dead, dead grass in their nightshirts until I call them in to bed.

July was busy, but obviously good. We started August off with a fun impromptu trip to Utah, so stay tuned for that!

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping when after the baby comes we can take a trip to visit you guys. Washington is absolutely beautiful! And your July looks like it was a blast. I loved the recap of you guys walking across the river. Hahaha!! Made me chuckle.