Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Tappana Times: February

Playing catch up here on the blog again. I last wrote about our awesome trip to Harrison Hot Springs, but now I need to fill in what happened the rest of February.


We had our first sickness of the winter, a miracle really. Usually, we're one of the first families to drop and then go through at least a couple rounds. However, this year we were able to make it until February and then only Kendrick really got sick. He did get pretty sick. When his eyes glaze over and he slowly slides down the couch while watching Elmo, you know something is wrong with the kid. Luckily, he pulled through in a decent time and all was well again. I was definitely panicked about everyone getting the flu. Definitely not something this pregnant mom wanted to worry about.

One lovely Friday morning, I was sitting on the couch by the front window helping the kids get ready to go to school. Suddenly, I hear this giant crash and I turn to look out the window and see our garbage and recycling cans knocked clear across our yard. Whoever rammed into them with their car did it so hard and so fast that our recycling can flew twenty yards across our driveway!


Papers were strewn everywhere and we had to hurry and pick everything up. Whoever hit our cans just kept right on driving; as soon as I heard the crash I immediately turned and looked out the window and I didn't even catch a hint of a taillight. People drive so fast on the road in front of our house and I always worry about them hitting my kids. This did not make me feel any better.

This first picture is what our waste cans looked like before they were hit, and the second picture is of the garbage can WEDGED under our bush.


Whoever hit it broke the handle in a couple places and now it no longer closes correctly.


I just wish the person would have stopped, apologized, and helped clean up the mess. I hope they at least learned to watch the road more closely. And that garbage cans are the worst thing they hit and run.

That was probably our most exciting morning in February. Most other mornings it was business as usual as Kendrick and I wave goodbye to the kids at the bus stop across the street.


Though when the sun started coming out, it was hard for this Washingtonian baby to handle. Kendrick kept coving his face and saying, "My eyes! My eyes!"

Valentines Day rolled around and we kept it low key and had some fun decorating boxes and making out cards for school.


Ammon came up with the idea of a mail delivery truck all by himself for his box, and I helped him orchestrate the actual design. It was simple and cute - just perfect for Ammon.


Lydia's teacher insisted "strongly encouraged" that no candy be brought with Valentines, but I thought this was a crime against humanity. Everyone deserves a little candy on Valentine's Day! So against the teacher's wishes (and Lydia's because she was mortified to defy anything her teacher said), I made Lydia tape one little Now and Later candy on each Valentine card. Especially her teacher's. Lydia said no one else handed out candy that day, and I told her that I bet everyone loved Lydia's cards the most. No candy on Valentine's Day?! Preposterous!

Kendrick turned into a demon the night we made cards and I took a picture to represent the terror. You can see his swollen face from crying all.night.long.




We created some lovely heart hair to add to the day's festivities on February 14th.


As for Kendrick and I, we surprised Brigham at work and passed out Valentines to Brigham's coworkers.


Kendrick loved sitting in Brigham's chair and he sure was a little charmer.

Brigham normally loves going out on Valentine's Day (we couldn't make it work on actual V-day this year and ended up doing a double date with our good friends later), so instead I made him a fancy beef, mushroom, and asparagus dinner to enjoy as a family at home.


This picture doesn't make it look that appetizing, but it was GOOD.


I love my Valentines and celebrating love has always been my favorite.

Soon I'll have one more Valentine to add to the bunch and in February I hit thirty weeks. It's always a solid, fun number to achieve.

In preparation for the new baby, we began moving rooms around and Lydia was thrilled to finally have her own room.


She likes to hole up in there now, but it is adorable seeing her sit at her desk listening to music while she draws or does homework. I know she's truly enjoying having some personal space. Ammon moved to the top bunk and had his own room for a couple weeks until we moved Kendrick in a couple weeks later.
As the weather warmed, these ugly ugly creations reared their yellow heads and my never-ending battle with them began again. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on top of them rather than fighting voraciously to conquer their armies marching across my grass.
And that's about as February as you can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment