Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Tappana Times: Grandma Turns 90

This year my grandma turns ninety years old! Her birthday is actually in October, but we had a big family birthday party for her in August. People flew or drove in from all over the country to celebrate the life of this wonderful woman.



It was a gorgeous, sunny day in Washington, and people started to arrive at Kanaskat Palmer where we had a reserved pavilion to eat and play and talk together.





First we had family updates from all of my Grandmother's children. We talked over some family history and I was able to read a speech for my grandma where she gave some advice and thanked everyone for coming.



Next, we ate, chatted, and painted rocks to give to Grandma to look at and remember us by.



The area was a gorgeous state park where we were able to play in the river and explore the beautiful surrounding nature.


The kids loved playing frisbee and games with cousins and second cousins who they hadn't hardly seen or even met before.


My favorite part was wheeling Grandma around to talk to different family members. Grandma has been a widow for forty years and all of her posterity tried to make it to celebrate with the matriarch of this wonderful family. We had a five generation picture taken that I don't have, but seeing Grandma with her first great-great-grandchild was awesome.

I'm blessed to have lived with or close by Grandma for most of my life. She truly is a second mom to me and I find her ninety years truly inspiring. Grandma leads a life that is full of generosity, love, faith, and family. And she's pretty much my favorite.


We were worried that all of the action of the day would wear her out and that it would take a couple weeks for her to recover, but instead she felt rejuvenated from all of the family and love. I'm missing many of the videos and pictures taken this day, but to sum it all up, it was touching.

Grandma, I love you. You are amazing and wonderful and it is truly my pleasure to serve you. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment