Monday, January 29, 2018

Super-Old Seven

I can't believe my baby boy turned seven. Somehow seven seems SO much older than six. Six is little boy still, and seven is suddenly grown up. Big kid. 


I asked Ammon to take a picture for his birthday and he insisted on taking it next to Kendrick. Ammon really loves his brother. 

For Ammon's actual birthday day, it was pretty duddy. I had to work that night and so I bought them some pizza and salad to have without me and arranged for Brigham to take them out to McDonald's for an ice cream cone. (A McDonald's WITHOUT a play place because those things are just germ cesspools, and with the flu and hand and foot going around, we are avoiding play places like the plague. Because they are probably carrying that too...)

Saturday, we took Ammon to his first basketball game. He loves practice but the games stress the kid out. I totally understand with the chaos that is first and second-grade boys running around trying to control a bouncing ball with coaches yelling demands at them. He's slowly adjusting to the excitement of the game, but he still prefers weekly practices and actually plays way more aggressively because he's more comfortable.


I will say that he's pretty awesome on defense: his hands always up with his hysterical hopping slide he uses to stay with his man. He just forgets to switch to offense when his team gets the ball. But he's improving.


That night we went out to Red Robin for dinner to score the free birthday kid's meal. We love taking the kids to Red Robin for a birthday dinner - not just for the free kid's meal, but also for the singing, free ice cream, and balloons. It's like a mini birthday party where I don't have to do any work.


Sunday was the big day to actually celebrate Ammon. He waited so patiently until Sunday night to be with family and have everyone there to open presents and have the birthday dinner of his choice (meatball sandwiches) with his cake and ice cream. 


I was so impressed by a seven-year-old boy's ability to wait two days to open a single present for his birthday without complaining once! I tell you he is full of goodness, this kid.


When he finally did open presents, there was definitely a lego/Pokemon theme. He was thrilled to get more Pokemon cards and a binder to finally store them all in so they aren't just laying around everywhere.

Ammon asked for a chocolate cake with chocolate chips in it. I dug around Pinterest for awhile, and added my own couple of ideas to come up with this beauty.


I was pretty proud of myself. I tried to pipe a fancy frosting design (I've been watching too many baking competition shows) but it proved to be much harder than I thought, so I smoothed out the frosting and sprinkled chopped up Reeses and Hershey bars. I thought the cake tasted alright the first day, but it got better with age. A week later, it was even more moist and I liked it even better.


 Luckily, Ammon liked his cake too.


Some of my favorites about Ammon: he loves to play, he is full of innocence, he is quiet around others but at the dinner table we cannot get him to stop talking. His imagination and ideas are fascinating once we get a peek into them. He loves games. If he doesn't pray, "Please bless that we'll have fun," at least twice each prayer, something is wrong. He loves food as much as I do (poor, poor guy). His blonde hair and blue eyes. His grin.

Recently, the primary president emailed and asked for one attribute each of our children has that will help them throughout their life. Something that will help them hold to the iron rod. I thought for awhile about Ammon, and the word that kept coming to me was goodness. I mentioned it before, but this kid is full of goodness. He has so much desire to do good, be good, and his heart is full of gold. Sure, he doesn't listen at times, forgets instructions, can be selfish, and all the other six seven-year-old boy flaws that come, but he has such a spirit of...well, goodness. I hope he carries it with him for the rest of his life. 

Ammon, I love you son. Happiest of Birthdays!!


Ammon's Seventh Birthday Interview
1. What's your favorite song? Eye of the Tiger
2. What's your favorite thing to do with Mom? Play games with her
3. What's your favorite thing to do with Dad? Play the Wii
4. What's your favorite day of the week? Saturday
5. How old are you? Seven
6. Who is your best friend? Hyrum
7. What's your favorite thing to do? Play the Wii
8. What's your favorite color? Blue and Green
9. What's your favorite food? Ice Cream
10. What do you like to do with your family? Play the Wii together
11. What's your favorite toy? My legos
12. What do you want to be when you grow up? A Police Officer
13. What makes you happy? My family
14. What makes you sad? Grandpa Dan dying
15. What's your favorite show to watch? Ninjago
16. What's your favorite book? Superman
17. What do you like to learn about? Math
18. Where do you like to go? To Utah
19. What's the best part of your birthday? Getting to open presents
20. What's your favorite treat? Cake
21. If you could meet someone famous who would it be? Imagine Dragons
22. What's your favorite movie? Sword in the Stone
23. What's your favorite game to play? Go Fish
24. What sports do you like? Basketball
25. What do you like to wear? Pajamas and basketball shorts
26. Who's your favorite Superhero? Spiderman

No comments:

Post a Comment