Monday, July 2, 2018

Tappana Times: Mother's Day and More of May

After having a new baby at the beginning of May, you can expect that the rest of the month was jam-packed with picture overload of the new one.




After all, everyone was working on getting to know her and adjusting to our new lives and schedules with a newborn.




Kendrick had plenty of adjusting to do, and though he had a few rough days, the transition went better than expected.




He mostly ignored Ivy, but every once in awhile Kendrick helped hold her bottle to feed her. He also learned how to better entertain himself when I was occupied taking care of Ivy.



Having a newly potty-trained toddler and a newborn turned out to be more of an adjustment than I thought it would be, but we eventually got into a bit of a groove. And Kendrick singing Ivy "Happy Birfday" was one of the moments that made it worth it.



The older kids had to learn to fend for themselves more often as well, and I appreciated their patience with their grumpy, tired, emotional mom.


A couple weeks into May, mother's day arrived and I was able to leave newborn Ivy to go experience Muffins with Mom with Ammon at school.


Ammon was so excited, he left me a note ahead of time with quarters (his favorite gift to share with people he loves). It was the sweetest time with my boy. He melts my heart with his goodness and smile. He told me his favorite thing about me is that I'm good at cooking dinner. My favorite thing Ammon said is that when he grows up he wants to be a scientist that studies space. So mature for his age. I say go for it, Ammon! You can do anything!




I spent a lot of time these first weeks trying to get pictures of Ivy because I know how fast newborns looks change. I wanted to remember her curly hair after her baths and her chubby cheeks and squinty eyes.


I'm not sure that Ivy was so thrilled about it.




I want to remember her first time at church and my favorite outfit to put her in. The little green floral, ruffle-rump pants...love them.


I don't regret any of the pictures.




Because now I can remember how she just stretched out and fell asleep in the tub, and how she has the longest toes I've ever seen on a little girl. Dresses she wore, and how she's changed.

I also needed to get Ivy's newborn pictures done. I took them myself and they are not professional by any means, but they are good enough for me. Here are a couple of my favorites.




I love having another girl to put bows on!

Mother's day came and I was spoiled by family.


A delicious dinner by my husband and dad, and lots of simple gifts from the kids.


Every time I have another baby, I respect my own mother so much more. This year she was actually here for mother's day and I loved having her celebrate with me! She's the best.

Ammon had a first-grade choir concert that we attended. The kids and I walked to the elementary school and I put them to work pushing the heavy double stroller up the steep hill next to our house.



Ammon did a great job. He knew the songs and sung them proudly.

The boys were able to head off to a fathers and sons campout together. I'm always nervous that everyone will come back in one piece. Ammon had a rough tumble pretty much the second he stepped out of the car, but besides that, they had a great time. Kendrick was thrilled he got to go this year.


Us ladies enjoyed a game night and dinner out at Chik-Fil-A while the boys were gone. It was a win-win.


May brought a bit of warmer spring weather and the kids enjoyed the outdoors as much as possible.


The sky was so blue on one of our walks I had to take a picture. And the pictures don't even do justice. Another glorious Washington day.


Ivy's hair started to develop a curl mohawk-style that we love. It dries into a curl that refuses to be smoothed down.


Ivy also started to wake up and become more aware. She sleeps better, but always wants to be held during the day.


Her poor skin hated this world and she was plagued with the worst baby acne her first month. Poor thing was sort of a disaster. But those big eyes staring up at you made the inflamed skin disappear.



Really, I'm lucky to be a mom to such great kids.



They make me laugh, they're easy on the eyes, and they are more patient with me than I deserve. Mother's day is special because these sweet souls are the ones to make me Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment