Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Bad Mommy and Daddy

As Brigham and I were getting ready for Church one Sunday, an accident happened at our house. Brigham was watching Lydia while she was eating her bottle on our bed. Well Brigham got a little distracted as she was eating and came into the kitchen to talk to me. I forgot to remind him to go back into the bedroom to make sure Lydia wouldn't roll off the bed. As we were talking, Lydia finished her bottle and did, indeed roll off the bed. We heard a loud bump and sudden crying. The feeling you get when you hear that is awful! We ran in the bedroom, I grabbed her and she calmed down pretty fast. We were pretty scared because when we found her she was lying on the leg of our desk that sits on the floor so we searched her little body to make sure she was ok. We then noticed that the dark red mark on her cheek. We also noticed she wouldn't open her eye. She then started heaving like she was going to throw up. I laid her on the changing table and she closed both eyes and acted like she was going to sleep. I started to panic and tried to keep her awake and open her eye. As I tried to open her eye, all I could see was darkness and I thought that I had blinded my daughter by neglect and that she also had a concusion. I was so afraid even though Brigham says I seemed really calm. Then suddenly she opened both eyes and whined a little. After a couple of minutes watching her I realized she was ok, just a little shocked. Her eye was swollen and she had a huge red line running down her cheek that later turned into an array of colors (black, blue, green, and orange). It was an awful experience and we were late to church (one of my huge pet-peeves), but after six days she was completely healed. It's crazy how fast babies heal! These pictures are a couple days after the incident and don't show how bad it looked at first. We don't leave her on the bed anymore (especially Dad because he was more traumatized than Lydia was!) and I'm so glad she's ok! We both felt like horrible parents even though I'm sure worse things have happened. I do not look forward to the next accident!

No comments:

Post a Comment