Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Sleeping Angels

There's something so instinctually satisfying about a sleeping baby. Seeing both my children in bed well fed, warm, and protected, it's like I've done my job taking care of them and now they fell secure enough to sleep peacefully.  And that is so fulfilling. I think this display of peaceful security is what makes it hard for parents to resist taking lots of sleeping baby pictures. In truth, it's a temptation not to whip out the camera every night as I check on my children before heading to bed myself.

I mean look at Lydia during her Sunday afternoon nap:


Snuggling her bear, with her with her red bow highlighting the rosy cheeks beneath her long dark lashes. Gorgeous.

I originally grabbed the camera because I loved how she was curled up.


It might be hard to tell, but she has her little legs curled up against her, almost in the fetal position, and it was just so cute I had to get a picture. How sweet my sleeping girl is.

Then a few nights later I find her sleeping so proper:


Once again it might be hard to tell because of blankets, but her leg is crossed over her other leg which is bent at a ninety degree angle under the blanket. Like she just crossed her legs and fell asleep. What a lady she is even while slumbering :)

And if you notice with the owl, she always has to sleep with a stuffed animal. Even if I don't give her one, she sneaks out of bed to pick one out after I leave. I figure it doesn't hurt so I let her pick one out every night before bed. What I find interesting is that she doesn't have a favorite one she picks out more often, she just wants any general one of her animals and she's happy.

Ammon couldn't care less what he sleeps with besides usually preferring a binky. And sometimes he really doesn't need anything at all:


I went to get ready while Lydia was watching Sesame Street and Ammon was playing happily, and when I came to check on them I found him passed out like this. It was like he just couldn't go anymore. In his defense he did get a fever of 103 later that day. Poor, sweet, little guy.

Why don't adults look so sweet while sleeping? Is it because we've lost all our innocence? Or just our nice baby smooth skin? Who knows. What I do know is, that I sure love a sleeping angel and can't help taking pictures when I get the chance.

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that pic of ammon is hilarious!! how is that comfortable at all? and lydia is one gorgeous little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest post ever! I loved every bit of it :). The picture of Ammon totally cracks me up! I wish I could just fall asleep anywhere...lucky dude. I'm a bit jealous :)

    ReplyDelete