Monday, December 7, 2015

Thanksgiving, Birthday, and Christmas Decorating

Thanksgiving weekend was one of the most wonderful weekends. I had been looking forward to it for some time. I loved having the kids off school and Brigham home from work. Thanksgiving morning I was bummed not being able to play in the ward Turkey Bowl. It's one of my absolute favorite parts of the holiday, but apparently at 37+ weeks pregnant, too many people thought I was a liability. I was still going to go, but then my husband mentioned that other men said they wouldn't want me on their team and I realized I would maybe make too many people uncomfortable. So for THEIR sake I decided to go to the early morning kickboxing and boot camp classes at the church instead. I still think I could have been utilized as a secret weapon, but I really enjoyed a good work out despite it not being in the form of a fun football game.

After getting cleaned up we headed to my mom's house for our Thanksgiving day fun.


My aunt brought her jewelry beads and we made some Christmas jewelry and painted some crafts for Christmas gifts.











Of course we had lots of cooking and setting going on. We kept the meal lighter this year without TOO many dishes assigned out, but still with the necessary spread. My dad did a fantastic job with the turkey and everyone is still talking about how moist it was. And of course, his rolls cannot be beat.

I tried out making mashed potatoes in the crockpot for the first time, and it was easy and a success. Of course, props goes to Brigham for peeling and cutting them all up for me. That's the hardest part!


We had a gratitude tree up on the wall and everyone was required to put up five leaves with something different we were grateful for written on each one.

We played a few new games and had a taste test contest for different flavors of candy canes we bought at craft fair recently. I believe the Chocolate filled with peanut butter and the egg nog candy canes won. We also had a fine chocolate taste test contest and I forget which bar won, considering they were mostly foreign ones that I don't normally eat.

The day ended with pies and happiness all around.

The next day was Brigham's birthday. We spend it together Black Friday shopping with my mom and brother and relaxing as a family. Brigham really enjoyed the day and that's what really mattered.

Brigham received his big birthday present early this year, as we bought our first real tv (meaning it is a flat screen tv that we actually payed money for instead of just getting handed down some giant box for free). We found a killer of an early black friday deal and bought it on the cheap. Brigham loves it. Men and their televisions! However, we really needed it considering our tv's have been on the fritz, and I admit that it's pretty nice to have.

I made Brigham's requested Italian birthday dinner with fancy alfredo sauce that is to die for, and spaghetti, with garlic bread, salad, and an ice cream cake. Two heavy meals two days in a row! Fat and happy we are.

I like to tease Brigham about being 31, but really I love this man and I'm so excited to give him a baby this month. He works hard for us and he deserves to be spoiled for his birthday!

The next Saturday we put up Christmas decorations. I kept it super simple this year because I know I won't feel up to taking much down in January and I am actually really happy keeping it more simple. I think I might make it a yearly trend.


The kids are so fun this year as they are REALLY into Christmas. We had the best time as a little family decorating the tree together. Although the middle strand of lights are out and we had to string different colored lights (we made due with what we had without making a trip to the store), we love our tree. It works for us! Lydia and Ammon like to look at their homemade ornaments and admire their handy work. I love their simple joy.  I also LOVED being able to finally listen to Christmas music! It has been torture keeping away and I am reveling in every song I play.

I really have so much to be grateful for this year. I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who answers prayers and loves me, I am grateful for my body that can support and create and carry a child to add to our family, I am grateful for a wonderful husband that is so good to us, I am grateful for beautiful children that make me happier than I ever knew I could be. I'm grateful for our house, Brigham's job, my family, Brigham's family, the gospel, and so much more. I'm grateful for cozy weekends with those I love. And I'm grateful that we are at another Christmas season and able to celebrate the birth of my Savior, Jesus Christ!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun weekend!! i think its awesome you did an early morning boot camp workout on thanksgiving. go you and you're hard work!! and glad brigham had a happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete