Thursday, January 19, 2012

Food Snob

As we try to transition Ammon from a diet consisting mostly of formula to a one made up of regular food, we've had some challenges. I've noticed that he does not like a lot of textures; he'd much rather eat something pureed. He also prefers anything sweet or made up of bread and will do a lot to get out of eating his vegetables. The constant cookies at Christmas time (thanks Grandma and Grandpa Nelson) did not help this trend.

His temper comes out STRONGLY when trying to give him anything he doesn't want to eat. I never even knew he had such a temper until a few unfortunate occasions with green beans. It's a combination of scary and hilarious.

Here's an example of his eating habits. On his birthday I gave him some apples and this is what happened:


Apparently apples are boring.

I tried to wake him up and get him to eat more but this is what happened instead:


He fell asleep again -only in a different position - and yes that is an apple hanging out of his mouth. When I went to remove it, I found he had a whole bunch of chewed up apples sitting in there.

I relieved his suffering, put him down for a nap, and when he woke up I gave him a graham cracker for a snack. Here's his reaction to that:


Celebration.


He's so happy. This is the food group he prefers. Carbs loaded with sugar.


Oh he looks like such a big boy here.

He's been doing better lately with some hard work and lots of patience, but he still is rather picky. I have to keep reminding myself that he just turned one and has a long time to learn about the deliciousness of all types of food.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kinda a food snob too. I get grumpy when I can't have my chocolaty snacks...and when I do get them I get upset if I have to share. I look just like Ammon when I give into my cravings and eat something tasty.

    ReplyDelete